Marketing Tips« Back to Ideas Collection
More Marketing Tips
- • 10 Ideas to Help Sharpen Your Headline Writing Skills
- • Think Digital is Where It’s At? Think Again.
- • Hook Your Audience with Habit-Forming Products
- • Make Your Brand Impossible to Resist with Fascination
- • How to Stand Out in a 3-Second World
- • 3 Keys for Reaching an Entitled Generation
- • 3 Ways to Sabotage Your Next Direct Mail Piece (And How to Market Smarter)
- • Marketing to the Smallest Viable Audience
- • 5 Reasons to Consider a Rebrand for Your Business
- • How Magnetic Marketing Cements Customer Loyalty
- • How to Persuade Prospects to Say Yes
- • How to Make Your Idea Stick
- • How to Perfect Your Sales Copy
- • The Power of Simplicity in Marketing
- • Funnel Your Efforts in the Right Direction
- • Only As Strong As Your Weakest Touch Point
- • Smart Companies Get People Talking
- • 6 Steps To Customer-Centric Writing
- • Sell With Words That Inspire
- • Creating a Category of One
- • Four Keys to Building Customer Relations
- • Eye-Stopping Headlines
- • Powerful Business Cards
- • Design Direct Mail That Sells
- • Create a Great New Logo
3 Ways to Sabotage Your Next Direct Mail Piece (And How to Market Smarter)
What makes a direct mail campaign effective?
It all begins at a glance.
An effective direct mail letter or postcard doesn’t feel or look like junk. There are no buzz words, power expressions, or lofty claims about seemingly unbelievable benefits. Want your next direct mailing to credibly connect with prospects?
The most persuasive pieces avoid these three deadly sins:
Have you ever received a direct mail pitch that is disguised as an official government mailing?
Or perhaps you received a stiff yellow envelope marked with words like “Pay to the Order Of” or with taglines threatening to “fine” anyone obstructing its delivery per the US Code. Upon opening it, your suspicions are confirmed: the check inside actually turns out to be a non-negotiable coupon offering you a discount for making a purchase. Did this make you want to trust the seller? Not likely.
Direct mail feels inauthentic when it seems to be trying too hard.
On the face of one envelope, you might see multiple call-out messages, like “Open At Once,” “URGENT,” or “Only 7 Issues Left!” When your postcard or envelope is cluttered, it is perceived as impersonal or mass-produced. And anything that looks like junk mail will likely go straight toward the trash.
Instead, work for designs that are simple and clean, with one unifying theme.
When crafting a sales pitch, many marketers focus more on the product than its audience.
But readers are not primarily concerned with how slick your idea is, they are concerned with how great it will make their lives. Concise, persuasive direct mail clearly presents the benefits your product will bring the consumer. Selling the vision isn’t about functions or features; it’s about showcasing the possibilities. So instead of selling a pillow, sell a world of health and abounding energy.
Hand-Crafted with Care
Do you enjoy randomly opening gag gifts out of a big, generic pile? If you’re like most people, you would much rather open a meaningful gift lovingly selected just for you.
The same is true in marketing. When readers feel like your mail is impersonal or automated, their response rates will drop. The best way to strengthen your communication is to make it seem authentic, effortless, and personal.
by Joel N Greene PhD.
Avoid the 12 Deadly Sins of Direct Marketing.
- Break through all of the advertising clutter and noise
- Stop using the same tired, old marketing methods everyone else uses
- Discover the best direct mail method for attracting new customers
Direct Mail Marketing will show you how to:
- Create promotional messages so effective they resonate with your market
- Identify your most likely buyers so you can ignore everyone else
- Use cutting edge technologies to develop your optimal sales message
Direct Mail Marketing offers a method to:
- Earn maximum response rates and revenue results
- Reach profit and revenues often 8-12X higher than email
- Maximize sales results across mail, email, social media, & blogging platforms
Direct Mail Marketing should be required reading by every business manager, executive and student of marketing. It will change the way you do direct marketing from this day forward.